Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Conan #1 Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

Associate Producer, WG Labs

• WG Staff

Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares (1996)

Master of Orion 2 (MoO2) is a 4X turn based space strategy game and direct sequel to Master of Orion. With the addition of 3 new races and numerous new features and improvements, this game lauded by fans as the 'best' of the 3 original MoO games. Perhaps even considered to be the yardstick in 4X games.

Long ago, two races of great power, the Orions and Antarans, fought a war that left most of the galaxy in ruins. The Orions emerged victorious and imprisoned the Antarans in a pocket dimension. Before leaving the galaxy, the Orions left behind the Guardian, a warship of immense power, to protect their home.
It didn’t take long for the Antarans to stay down! They broke out of their prison dimension and are ready to wage war once again.
In this game, players can design and add races to join the battle. This game allows you to win with methods apart from brute force – claiming the Orion star does not score a victory. To win, you can choose between these three routes:
1) Defeat every enemy
2) Charm your way and work towards being elected as the supreme leader of the galaxy
3) Conquer the Antarans by launching a successful offensive against the Antaran homeworld.
Make full use of your ability to rule your people and resources for your rightful victory!

As with the original game, you can still run your old copy on modern systems with certain settings and software. Quite a few people are still playing MoO2. If you are one of them or want to discuss the hours of glorious space conquest of the past, feel free to discuss here in this forum section. Perhaps you'd like to tell us the story of the time you took the battle to Antares or used the mighty Stellar Converter on every single planet your enemies occupied.

Fellow Conqueror of the Stars, you are welcome here.

Conan

Associate Producer

Master of Orion / WG Labs

dead_man_walking #2 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

Ensign

• Player
Still got this CD floating around at home :)

Conan #3 Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

• WG Staff
Played it last night >.<

Conan

Associate Producer

lengxv6 #4 Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

Ensign

• Player
I have installed VMware, created a virtual HDD, installed ME (w95 didn't work) just so I can play again

Conan #5 Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

• WG Staff

GoG version works fine (runs off a custom DOSBOX)... well, had to pay a few $$ for it back then...

The horror... THE HORROR!

WINDOWS ME!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Conan

Associate Producer

Seablaze #6 Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

Ensign

• Player

Master of Orion 2 is the only game that still holds a place on my Taskbar.

While I originally started with Master of Orion 1 (something passed down from Dad), Master of Orion 2 is the game I've spent countless hours playing, even conning my friends and family into hotseat games - one of the very few that rivalled Risk or Monopoly in length.

I've always loved MoO2, and one of the best things is the range of strategies you can employ - from Aggressive Expansion to Sitting back and Researching, we had great phases in our games, such as discovering the strengths of an ignored Creative empire, to speedrunning the game - seeing how quickly we can clear a small, 8-player galaxy.

While it may be the rose-tinted glasses talking, I've constantly looked for a 4x Game that lives up to Master of Orion 2, and as I play other games, I often think about the features of MoO2, and how other, newer games seem shallower or lacking in comparison.

pandalotus #7 Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player

I totally agree Seablaze. The replayability the game had was amazing.

My favourite thing to do was creating custom races.

I would always destroy everyone when I played creative and lithovore .. impossible level was easily doable with that combination.. and then when you could pick more stats becoming telepathic!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users